More Europe - Amsterdam Debate
Beyond markets: culture and creative industries in the EU's external relations
This debate, co-organised with the European Cultural Foundation, discussed culture and the economy in the EU's external relations: how can culture and creative industries foster cultural diplomacy and cultural relations? What added value culture and creative industries bring to the EU’s external relations?
- How can culture and creative industries foster cultural diplomacy and cultural relations?
- keynote speech
- Alexander Rinnooy Kan, Professor at the University of Amsterdam, former chair of the Dutch Social & Economic Council
- Andrew Senior, expert in creative economy, Director Andrew Senior Associates Ltd.
- Elisabeth O.Sjaastad, film director and CEO Federation of European Film Directors (FERA)
- Markus Appenzeller, Director and Partner in MLA+, architect
- Frédéric Martel, journalist, writer and author of Mainstream - On the Global Culture War
- Michael Reiterer, Senior Advisor, Asia and Pacific department, European External Action Service
- moderated by Tracy Metz, journalist and author on urban and spatial issues
- What added value culture and creative industries bring to the EU's external relations?
- keynote speech
- Marietje Schaake, MEP, committee for Culture, Media and Education and committee for Foreign Affairs
- Katelijn Verstraete, Regional Director East-Asia, Arts and Creative Industries, British Council (starting mid-October 2012), former Deputy Director, Cultural Exchange Department, Asia-Europe Foundation
- Renilde Steeghs, Ambassador for Cultural Cooperation, Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Charles Esche, curator, director Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven
- Xavier Troussard, Acting Director for Education and Culture, European Commission (EC)
- moderated by Mercedes Gionvinazzo, Director Interarts, Barcelona
Read our report on the debate and watch our video here:
Take a look at our pictures here:
You can continue the debate on Twitter using #MoreEuropeEU!
Documents from the More Europe - Amsterdam debate:
- programme of the debate
- input paper by Andrew Senior: "New opportunities for external relations - nurturing cultural exchange and economic development through the creative economy"
- report by Tsveta Andreeva (European Cultural Foundation)
Following the debate, the speakers have been interviewed, take a look at what they discussed: