- This event has passed.
More Europe Warsaw Debate
19th November 2012
“More Europe” in and outside the EU. Which role can culture play?
This debate took place in the capital of Poland, the biggest country of the so called “new EU members”, very active in the field of cultural cooperation beyond the EU, notably with the Eastern Partnership countries, one which acts as a “bridge” between the West and the East in terms of politics, economy, culture and puts special emphasis on strengthening civil societies trough culture.
The debate focused on how culture can help building an European cultural identity based on civil societies in and outside the EU, needed structures and the perception of artists and NGOs from non-EU countries.
It was co-organised by the Austrian Cultural Forum Warsaw, the European Union National Institutes for Culture (EUNIC) Warsaw and the National Audiovisual Institute “NInA”.
- Bogdan Zdrojewski (PL) – Polish Minister of Culture and National Heritage
- Radosław Sikorski (PL) – Polish Minister of Foreign Affairs
- MEP Jerzy Buzek (PL) – Former EP President
- Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz (PL) – President of the City of Warsaw
- Robert Firmhofer (PL) – Director of the Copernicus Center
- Monika Smoleń (PL) – Undersecretary of State, Ministry of Culture and National Heritage
- Andrzej Cieszkowski (PL) – Plenipotentiary of the Minister of Foreign Affairs for the Eastern Partnership
- Sana Ouchtati (BE) – Project Director of More Europe External Cultural Relations initiative in Brussels
- Martin van Dijk (NL) – President of EUNIC Cluster Warsaw 2012/2013
MAIN PANEL “More Europe” in and outside the EU. Which role can culture play?
- Jerzy Hausner (PL) – Professor of Economics at Cracow University, former Minister of Economic Affairs
- Michał Merczyński (PL) – Director of National Audiovisual Institute “NInA”
- Paweł Potoroczyn (PL) – Director of Adam Mickiewicz Institute
- Jan Truszczyński (PL) – General Director for Education, Training, Culture & Youth, European Commission
Moderator: Adam Krzemiński (PL) – Journalist of Polityka
Participation of civil societies in the political and cultural processes in the EU
- Piotr Choroś (PL) – Founder of Homo Faber Foundation Lublin and representative of the City of Lublin
- Rikke Forchhammer (DK) – Head of Krogerup Højskole and leader of Baobab Singers
- Alek Tarkowski (PL) – Internet sociologist, Director of Centrum Cyfrowe Projekt: Polska
- Kuba Wygnański (PL) – Representative of the Unit for Social Innovation and Research – Shipyard (Pracownia Badań i Innowacji Społecznych „Stocznia”)
- Rarita Zbranca (RO) – Director of AltArt Foundation Romania, member of the Strategy Group of “A Soul for Europe”
Moderator: Agata Diduszko-Zyglewska (PL) – member of the Initiative Warszawa 2020 and president of the Society Pasaż Antropologiczny
Culture in the EU external relations: appropriate structures, instruments and resources
- Delphine Borione (FR) – General Director of the Cultural Department in the French Foreign Ministry and President of EUNIC Global
- Krzysztof Czyżewski (PL) – Art Director of Wrocław 2016, Pogranicze Foundation
- Jean-Pierre Deru (WB) – Director of the Association Marcel Hicter pour la Démocratie culturelle
- Włodzimierz Paszyński (PL) – Vice-President of the City of Warsaw
- Gottfried Wagner (AT) – Special envoy for international cultural-political projects, Austrian Ministry for Education, Arts and Culture and initiator of the “More Europe” debates
Moderator: Agata Etmanowicz (PL) – Expert on cultural management
Culture as a tool for the strengthening of civil societies in the neighbouring Eastern Partnership countries
- Kateryna Botanova (UA) – Director of the Foundation Center for Contemporary Art, Kyiv
- Christiane Erharter (A) – Culture Program of the ERSTE Stiftung
- Peter Inkei (HU) – Director of the Budapest Observatory
- Krzysztof Stanowski (PL) – President of the board of the Solidarity Fund PL
Moderation: Gabriele Lesser (D) – Journalist, correspondent of TAZ (Berlin) and Der Standard(Vienna)
Direct culture. Art to the people!
- Michał Bieniek (PL) – Wrocław Art Foundation ART TRANSPARENT
- Suzana Milevska (FYROM) – Professor of history and theory of art at the Faculty of Fine Arts in Skopje
- Lada Nakonechna (UA) – REP, artistic group established during Orange Revolution
- Marina Naprushkina (BY) – Artist
- Yuriy Vulkovsky (BG) – member of the Strategy Group of “A Soul for Europe”, cultural policy researcher and lecturer at the Sofia University
Moderator: Igor Stokfiszewski (PL) – Journalist and member of Krytyka Polityczna
Final Panel of the Moderators
Moderator: Edwin Bendyk (PL) – Journalist
See a selection of photographs from the More Europe Warsaw Debate
Download PDF: More Europe Warsaw Debate Programme